Who We Are
The Albino Foundation Profile
Established in 2006, the Albino Foundation (TAF) is principally an organisation established for persons with albinism and other vulnerable groups such as persons with disabilities. The foundation is an independent non-governmental organization registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission. TAF is a special focus organization advocating for the recognition and respect of the rights and socio-economic inclusion of people living with albinism. The Foundation works to create awareness of the social challenges that Persons with albinism face in Nigeria and the world, by working with governments, development institutions in Programme areas that improve the health, education and social wellbeing of persons with albinism in Nigeria; as well as assist and empower them to find their rightful place in society. The Foundation now bears national spread cut across the 36 states of the federation and FCT-Abuja. The foundation equally partners with some disability organisations and institutions in Nigeria to ensure that persons with albinism and other vulnerable groups are socially and economically empowered.
“The Albino Foundation envisions a society with equal opportunity for Persons with Albinism”
“We are an advocacy organisation that empowers persons with albinism and educates the society about albinism in Nigeria and the world.”
Membership is open globally to anyone who shares the ideas of TAF and not unlimited to persons with Albinism alone. Membership is also derived from Government and non-governmental organisations, National Associations and corporate bodies who submit to the guidelines of TAF.
The Foundation presently has 42 chapters cut across all the 36 states of the federation and Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. The Foundation from inception have created an established platform that provides an enabling forum where the chapters meet monthly to share information, exchange ideas, deliberate on projects, build support network and carry out advocacy at various levels. The foundation has been working with each chapter from the date of their inception based on the thematic programme that fits the chapter’s geographical location. Chapters are free to initiate and embark on programmes. In such instance, TAF Headquarters plays a support role by mobilising human and material resources to support the chapter to carry out a given project at any given time. However, whenever TAF is embarking on a national or international programme, the chapter organisations participate actively by mobilising human and material resource as the case may be.
Accountability: We are responsible and answerable for our actions
Commitment: We are devoted to our cause
Stewardship: We are caring and continuously improving our service delivery
Passion: We are excited about what we do
Inclusiveness: We embrace and collaborate with all who share our vision
With a view to impacting all persons with albinism in Nigeria, Africa and the world, our focus as an organisation is categorised into six major areas:
- Healthcare: The aim of persons with albinism healthcare project is to reduce and mitigate health related problem associated with albinism such as sunburn, skin cancer and eye related problems
- Legislation and policy advocacy: The aim of the Legislation and public policy advocacy on Albinism is to ensure total mainstreaming of albinism programmes and policies into every sector of development in Nigeria
- Social Awareness: The aim of the Albinism Education and Social Awareness project is to properly educate and orientate Nigerians and the world about the true state of albinism and to help promote understanding, acceptance and socio-economic inclusion of PWAs into mainstream society.
- Learning and Education: The aim of the project is to ensure that persons with albinism especially children with albinism have access to qualitative education
- Economic Empowerment: The aim of the project is to enhance the operational capability of the Foundation and ensure that PWA live independent lives
- Albinism Rights: The albinism rights project is aimed to protect, promote and defend the fundamental human rights of persons with albinism in Nigeria